Let’s say you want to apply some texture to an image, but you don’t want to change the colors of your image. Let’s look at a few methods you can use.
The Original Image
Here’s a photograph I took of some boats on the Vienne river (a tributary of the Loire River in France). I don’t want to change the colors too much, but I thought it would be nice to give it a painterly look.
The Original Texture
Here’s a texture from the French Kiss l’Artiste Collection.
I’ve purposefully chosen one of the most colorful textures for this demonstration. While these colors could work well in a floral or a different landscape, they are too strong for my intent here. So, I’ll desaturate the color on the texture.
Different Ways To Desaturate The Texture Color
- Change the Color Mode of the Texture to Grayscale before you place it.
- Desaturate the image via the menu: Image / Adjustments / Desaturate.
- Use a Hue/Saturation Adjustment layer as a clipping mask. (texture already placed.)
Desaturating with a Hue / Adjustment Layer
Both changing the texture to grayscale or desaturating are pretty straight-forward. Let’s look at some advantages of using a Hue-Saturation Adjustment Layer instead though. (Plus, this is a pretty cool technique you’ll want to be comfortable with.)
Hue / Saturation Adjustment Panel
To desaturate, slide the saturation adjustment all the way to the left.
(see the graphic below.)
Why I like this method:
- you can make adjustments in the saturation to leave just a little hint of the color.
- Use the Colorize option to change the texture to a monochrome such as sepia.
Then, you can also adjust the saturation to get just a little color or a lot.
The Final Image
Here’s my final image with the desaturated image placed.
A few important tips:
- I’ve usually found the Overlay blend mode works best for this method.
- You may need to adjust the contrast of the desaturated texture. I like the Levels adjustment.
- Sharpening the texture can help emphasize the texture.
Here I’ve used Topaz Labs Detail filter. (affiliate link)
An Alternate Texture