It’s raining. I’m looking out my studio window at the Wisteria in the courtyard which is about a week away from being ready to be photographed. Today is my birthday and on my birthday, I always spend time writing out the previous birthday year’s events and accomplishments and my goals and affirmations for the coming year. Taking time to pause for reflection is a powerful part of growth. It’s a spiritual rainy day in the best connotation.
I thought about how my art has evolved over the year and what I would like to explore further. I’ve been challenging myself to shake up my ways of photographing and composing shots. I’ve been exploring combining my love of collecting vintage elements—from French ephemera to home objects—with my photography. This year, I also want to get back to taking more portraits which is where I began my photography!
I started French Kiss Textures in April of last year, so this is also its birthday. I thought of all the changes and learning in the last year. From getting hacked to starting a new store on Shopify. I love this work so much. Even the challenging parts.
I thought about my goals for this coming birthday year for French Kiss.
Some of them are very close to being realized!
- I’ll be rolling out an affiliate program before month’s end. You’ll have a chance to earn commissions on sales generated from links on your own site.
- I will be implementing a referral program where you can share links to the French Kiss shop and earn discounts for your purchases.
- I’m searching for the best way to build more community. I love the idea of setting up challenges, assignments and areas for constructive artistic feedback that goes beyond commenting. It may be a forum. I’d like to create the same environment for learning and growing that I have had both at University and professionally when I lived in San Francisco.
- I LOVE, LOVE featuring your artwork so I’ve been looking for a better way to regularly feature your work.
- More photo contests. I have an app for Facebook for photo contests – so I’ll give it a try soon! I love giving away prizes!
- More tutorials. I have in mind a complete workflow series from shooting and composing to final texture work, and a series of videos on using layer masks.
- More products! I have a number of projects in the works from vintage frames to digital papers.
- The next texture collection: The last collection was Glorious Grunge. I’m really excited to start working on a collection on the opposite spectrum that will be pretty with fresh, light, spring colors. (note: I may have an interim collection of unpublished textures — goodies I have been working on at the 5184 x 3456 pixel size. The new work will all be 6048 x 4032.)
- This one probably won’t be implemented until next year, but I will be starting photography and texture workshops in France.
Thank you for sharing your work and the community you create. Do you have any items you would like to add to the goals for French Kiss in the coming year?
See details for the image above on the shop blog.